While You Are In Hospital
We ask that you please:
- Be open and honest about your health so we can work together to plan your care.
- Don’t smoke, drink alcohol or use illicit drugs.
- Always wear your identification bracelet unless otherwise instructed by staff.
- Don’t leave the ward without checking with a nurse.
- Follow staff instructions in the event of an emergency.
- Don’t use cell phones within one metre of any medical equipment or anywhere in ICU/CCU – if in doubt ask.
- Prepare for medical procedures according to the instructions given to you. If in doubt, ring the department or ask a staff member.
- Respect the rights of other patients and staff.
- Respect hospital property and return anything loaned.
- Tell us if you feel your expectations are not being met to your satisfaction or if you are unsure about any aspect of your care.
- Tell us if you have spiritual or cultural needs that are not being met.
You need to be fully informed and consent to any treatment. In some instances, staff will ask you to agree in writing by signing a consent form. Before you give your consent you should feel confident that you have been given sufficient information. Please ask if you want more information.
Gisborne Hospital is Smoke Free
Hauora Tairawhiti is a smokefree environment. This means no one may smoke anywhere in Hauora Tairawhiti buildings, grounds, carparks or properties. Please do not be offended if we ask you if you smoke. We can offer you support to quit.
If it’s not an EMERGENCY it won’t be treated like one at Gisborne Hospital’s Emergency Department.